Monday, November 25, 2013

Scanner Salvage! Pt. II

Continuing from Scanner Salvage Pt. I

I finished my Twix break and moved my new goodies over to the de-soldering work station.

This sounds better than it is.  My de-soldering work station is the same as my soldering work station, and my work bench, and my writing desk, and tool storage area, and components storage area, and the place where I eat a lot of my meals, too.    Along with that are my de-soldering tools, which are the same as my soldering tools with the addition of a roll of solder wick and a lousy spring-piston pump.  I NEED a Hakko 808.

Anyhow, time for more work. 

Tools?  Check.
Parts?  Check.
Cold coffee?  Check.
Helpful lab partner?



Check.


First, I decided to tackle the regulator board as I badly needed a 7805 5v regulator.  I go through the things like candy these days.  


Single sided board, no surprises.  Big gobs of cheap solder on a cheap board.  The stuff liquefied the moment I threatened it with the iron.  Lots of good parts and some EXCELLENT heat sinks.  I always need heat sinks.  It used to be that I would actually get little ones off eBay for an excellent price.  But the waiting two months (only remembered to buy more when I ran out) and the price, cheap as it was, could be beat.  Now, I buy a six dollar strip of aluminum threshold cover and cut it into about sixty heat sinks.  Still, these were REALLY nice.


Good stuff here:
  • x2 heatsinks
  • 1N5819 (Yes, I'll save it.  I AM super cheap.)
  • Nice female header gang.
  • 7812 and 7805 regulators.
  • Female power jack.
  • Rubber dipped choke of some unknown spec (No markings, .01 ohms on the meter...)
  • x2 22mf electrolytic caps,
  • x1 220mf electrolytic cap.
  • x1 100mf electrolytic cap.
Bagged and tagged them (7805 went straight on to my other project) and moved on.

The little button assembly from the front of the case was super simple, containing only a dip button, a resistor, and a 3mm green led.  The whole thing was mounted on a ground plane with a single trace down the middle.  Nice little 2 pin header on it, too.  I saved it as-is, otherwise I would probably have to make this exact same circuit in a few weeks for something and now: Presto!  Already done.


Moving on...



Now, this gave me a little pause.  I normally rip stuff up and part it out so that I can make my own franken-circuits of death... but this is actually almost identical to a circuit I regularly make for inverting and stepping voltage for EL wire.  Be a shame to waste it... Unless... I have a better idea!

Notice how dark my work station is in all these shots?  

I need a new work light!!



A quick test.  Works like a charm!  I'll finish it up later as another post.

Next:

Well... not yet.  It's late, my penguin coffee cup is empty.  And, my helpful lab assistant needs a fire hydrant visit.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment